Saturday, August 23, 2008

Song of the Day: The Movie in My Mind

Apologies for not posting a song of the day yesterday.  I was at work from 10 in the morning till about 11 at night so there wasn't any time for updating the blog.  But the one thing I did accomplish yesterday was talking to my friend who just got back from Japan who now has a callback for the role of Gigi in Miss Saigon!  The show is being put on at the Drury Lane theater in Chicago in December.  To celebrate her callback I am posting the character's song from the show - The Movie in My Mind.  Miss Saigon is one of those productions I would love to have seen the original staging for.  I saw a touring version of the show and a lot of the splendor had been cut out of it.  I've heard the helicopter landing alone was worth a visit to Broadway back in the early 90's.  I got to see a projected one... great.  I'm not all about spectacle theater, but at times it can be very effective - Phantom of the Opera (a show i despise, but the Vegas production's staging is astounding) and Les Miserables being two great examples of this.  I believe back in it's day Miss Saigon was another.  Enjoy.

No comments: