Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Song of the Day: By the Sea

For anyone who knows me it's not surprise that Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street is my favorite musical of all time.  I've already posted one song from Sweeney Todd as a song of the day and you can probably expect more... but I'll try to keep it to a minimum.  What inspired me to post this was my love for Angela Lansbury.  She is an amazing Broadway actress who doesn't get nearly enough respect anymore because everyone always thinks of her in Murder She Wrote.  Well I hate to tell you people, but Lansbury is a multiple Tony winner (including winning for this role as Mrs. Lovett) and also has a few Oscar nominations under her resume as well.  She is an extremely well-rounded performer and I wish she act again.  She's getting old, but I saw her at the opening night of Gypsy this past spring and she looked stunning.  Today's song is By the Sea - one of the few comedic numbers in Sweeney Todd and one of the most impossible to sing, but Lansbury makes it all look so easy.  Enjoy.


Note of Interest: Yesterday's song of the day was Rose's Turn from Gypsy.  Lansbury also played the part of Momma Rose back in the day and managed to win a Tony for it.  There are some clips of her performing the part on youtube.  Take a look.  You won't be disappointed.

No comments: