Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The 8th Annual Knight Awards Begin: Introductions, Top 10 I'm looking forward to in 2009, Top 20 of 2008, Special Awards

THE 8th ANNUAL KNIGHT AWARDS 2008

Welcome to my annual year end movie awards.  This is my eighth year straight doing this and each year it seems like it takes longer and longer to put together.  This year I went the extra mile and decided to put it up in blog format, so as a special treat this year there are clips and pictures to go along with many of the nominees.  Some general things you should know about these "awards" -

1.These awards and nominees are exclusively created by me and do not have input from other people whatsoever... in other words it's all just my opinion and you know the saying "opinions   are like assholes, everybody's got one."

2. I place six nominees per category.  No special reason for this except that I like even numbers and five nominees (i.e. the Oscars) are just never enough especially in the acting categories.

3. I have my own "special" awards that I give out at the beginning and one of them includes a Special Achievement in Filmmaking award which I give to a film that has some sort of groundbreaking work that pushes the medium forward.  This does not mean that I think the film is the best movie of the year or even anywhere near it, it simply means that there are aspects of it that really push what the boundaries of narrative and technical filmmaking can do.  Past winners have included Sweeney Todd, The Aviator, Lord of the Rings etc.

4. I include Best Actor and Actress in a Limited Role categories to award actors who have very small or cameo roles.

5. These are simply for me and I do this as a hobby, but I do enjoy hearing peoples reactions and opinions so feel free to comment and let your voice be heard.  Besides I do enjoy a good film argument every once in a while.

Without further ado let to 8th Annual Knight Awards Begin!  The Winners in all categories will be announced the night before the Academy Award telecast, which will be Saturday February 21st, 2009.  Enjoy!

Top 10 Films I'm Looking Forward to Next Year

10. Bruno
9. Nine
8. Where the Wild Things Are
7. Public Enemies
6. Shutter Island
5. The Road
4. Inglorious Basterds 
3. The Lovely Bones
2. Watchmen
1. Avatar

Top 20 Films of 2008 in Alphabetical Order

Australia
Burn After Reading
Cloverfield
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The Dark Knight
The Duchess
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Hellboy II: The Golden Army
In Bruges 
Iron Man
Milk
Rachel Getting Married
The Reader
Revolutionary Road
Slumdog Millionaire
Tropic Thunder
Vicky Cristina Barcelona
W.
Wall-E
The Wrestler

Worst Film of the Year

Funny Games (tie)
Mamma Mia (tie)

Most Disappointing Film of the Year

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Most Overrated Film of the Year

Frost/Nixon

Most Underrated Film of the Year

In Bruges (tie)
Revolutionary Road (tie)

Breakthrough Performance (male)

Dev Patel - Slumdog Millionaire

Breakthrough Performance (female)

Taraji P. Henson - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Breakthrough Filmmaker of the Year

Martin McDonagh - In Bruges

Special Filmmaking Achievement of the Year

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (tie)
The Dark Knight (tie)

Lifetime Achievement Award

Woody Allen

Best Achievement in Visual Effects

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button 

Best Animated Film

Wall-E

Best Documentary

Religulous (tie)
Roman Polanski Wanted and Desired (tie)

Note of Interest:  I felt it was a bit pointless this year to have a category for Visual Effects as the effects work in Button is some of the most incredible work to ever be put on the screen.  To put it simply, nothing else even came close.

No comments: