Thursday, July 31, 2008

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince Trailer

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is easily my favorite book in the series.  It creates a complex portrait of the boy who would eventually become Lord Voldemort (something I felt the seventh book tarnished a bit, even if I did think the book was an overall success).  The trailer itself is intriguing and definitely has a sense of menace and terror, but for some reason I think the filmmakers may have made a mistake by making the young Tom Riddle overly creepy.  There was supposed to be evidence that the boy could become bad, but the trailer seems to point out a little too clearly that this kid is just evil.  He reminds me a bit of Damien in the The Omen really.  But it is nice that they got the brilliant Ralph Fiennes's nephew to play the young Tom Riddle.  Hopefully when the film comes out it will be a little more balanced in its portrayal.  I felt that the fifth film was the best one yet, so lets hope David Yates continues to do well with this series, because we've got three more films to go with him, which includes this one.

No comments: